Ahmets Restaurant, Oxford Street, Bulimba
SkySkum
2005-05-05 01:24:06 UTC
In the same place as Barista's used to be.

It's a Turkish eatery, and we decided to give it a try last night
instead of heading to Pisani's (which we found later to have been taken
over by a Modern Australian/French influence restaurant).

Corona beer @ $6, bottle of Pepperjack Shiraz was $35.

We started with the (made on the premises) turkish garlic bread.....
very moorish!!
The SO had the Lamb Guvec (casserole) served in a traditional style
clay pot, which came with rice. (About $19)
It didn't look like much, but was very filling. The SO said it was like
the lamb casserole her mum used to make, and she's not turkish!!

I had a Mixed Grill Platter........ lamb cutlets, quail, chicken and
lamb skewers and adana (minced meat mixed with spices). It came on a
frikken *huge* plate with potato bake, rice, salad and more bread!! A
carb lovers delight!!
Quite tasty once you squeeze lemon over it all.

We went there hungry but were quite full half way thru both meals. No
room for dessert. Apparently, the turkish delight is brought up from
Sydney, and is the most authentic that the owners have found anywhere.

Using my Entertainment Card, with 25% off, the all up damage was $75

They do doggy bags, but you have to put the food in the container
yourself......... a bit different, but OK. So it looks like I'll be
having turkish again for lunch today :-)

The overall decision was that we had a very filling meal, but it was
nothing spectacular, so we doubt very much if we'll try it again.
Maybe we'll drop in for a coffee and to try the turkish delight.
rmcgrice
2005-05-05 07:26:03 UTC
Post by SkySkum
In the same place as Barista's used to be.
It's a Turkish eatery,
The overall decision was that we had a very filling meal, but it was
nothing spectacular, so we doubt very much if we'll try it again.
Maybe we'll drop in for a coffee and to try the turkish delight.
Well, at least they did'nt try to shoot you from the kitchen "Trench" :-)

"Peters landing at Baristas"...... :-)

Ron
SkySkum
2005-05-06 00:18:28 UTC
Post by rmcgrice
Post by SkySkum
In the same place as Barista's used to be.
It's a Turkish eatery,
The overall decision was that we had a very filling meal, but it was
nothing spectacular, so we doubt very much if we'll try it again.
Maybe we'll drop in for a coffee and to try the turkish delight.
Gidday Ron, you old bugger!! How're you nowadays?
Post by rmcgrice
Well, at least they did'nt try to shoot you from the kitchen "Trench" :-)
The kitchen is open plan, so you can see what they're doing, and I kept
my eye on them :-)
Post by rmcgrice
"Peters landing at Baristas"...... :-)
The funny thing was, except for one of the delivery guys that did a
drop off while we were there, the place was entirely staffed by
Aussies!! The blonde waitress was *very* nice too ;-P
tag22
2005-05-13 16:28:06 UTC
Thanks for the info "Sky- - - ". Poster lives locally.
Thanks: tag22
Lucas, Peter
2005-05-14 01:33:40 UTC
Post by tag22
Thanks for the info "Sky- - - ". Poster lives locally.
Thanks: tag22
If you want a *really* good pizza, go just down the road to Panchos. BYO,
no corkage, there's a Grape on the opposite corner.

Try the garlic bread and the Italiano (no anchovies). *Wonderful*!!
--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as
soon as they can be convinced it is generally adopted"

Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.